Short Story: Ageful School


A night before the event, I was feeling unsettled before it even began. Words were lingering inside my head, thinking how and what should be uttered to new people that soon I would meet. I knew this was a never-ending contemplation of mine, then I called it a night and went to bed.
            2nd of March 2020, the day that I was waiting for finally here. My friend and I departed at first light to reach the place. It was rather quite a scene the second we set feet in the compound and people were flocking in. It was such a nostalgic sight and there I was standing as a member of the educator’s society and not an elementary student. Then, I headed to the administration office. There, I sat on a bench accompanied by my other friends waiting to be called in. Somehow, I was calm at that time maybe because I have friends to be with. Soon, we were called. We had quite a talk with the headmaster. As Monday and assembly are joined at the hip, we were asked to introduce ourselves during the assembly. A crowd of pupils were standing right in front of us. I started to feel a butterfly in my stomach but I managed to remain collected. After that, we headed to a computer lab, a place for us to stay for five days. 
            I took the opportunity to observe teachers teaching their students. I must say that teachers make a great actor and actress with the classroom as their stage and the students as the audience. I noticed that all the things that I have learned before were merely just a theory. Applying those theories were the real deal after all. After I finished observing the teachers, I headed to the teacher's office. It was noticeable how teachers act differently inside and outside a classroom. Inside the classroom, the teachers were stern toward the students, while outside the classroom they were friendly and easy-going particularly toward their colleagues.
            Whenever my stomach was growling, I would head to the school canteen. The school canteen was such a phenomenal place. The students were inclined to visit the place no matter recess time or not. During recess time, the place would be swarmed by the students. I found that some sneaky students would visit the canteen even during their class. This made me feel a little bit entertained.
            At the end of the day, giggles were not the only thing that I could hear but I also could smell the odorous scent of sweat as I passed through the crowd of pupils as I was heading out from the computer lab. I remembered seeing students playing a game that I would consider invented by themselves. I would say it was creative. While I was headed for the office, I saw parents would come to the school to fetch their children. Some would wait at the school canteen and some would directly go to the class. I even heard a father asked his daughter about things that she had learned that day.
            I found that the school was welcoming. They requested us to give a motivational talk to Year 6 on 4thof March. To make hay while the sun shines, my friends and I with an open arm accepted their request. We believed that we might be able to, at least, motivate them before they sit for the UPSR examination. Handling more than 50 students at were quite challenging but since they were old enough to obey rules, thing went as planned.
            6th of March marked the final day my SBE. I have learned valuable things throughout those five days but what was clear to me was that this was just the beginning of my story to continue a chapter being a teacher. Before leaving school, I signed the attendance book for the last time with a heavy heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A View on Teacher's Role in School

A Poem For You, My Dear Teacher